In 2017 we had a another outstanding World AIDS Day. We made the news and more. In fact, the last 12 months have been very special.
This World AIDS Day we raised the game. Not only did we get the media attention that comes with ‘red ribbon day’ we pushed ourselves out there and did new and innovative things.
In the weeks leading up to World AIDS Day we reached out to more and more people, young and not so young!
• Working with the brilliant Belfast Youth Forum and hosting a special evening with a workshop, information session and Q&A with a range of elected representatives
• Having the Lord Mayor of Belfast host us at Belfast City Hall for a small event on the morning of World AIDS Day
• ‘Taking over’ the Belfast Live website for a full day giving thousands of people the opportunity to see the Positive Life brand, many for the first time
• Taking to the streets to find out the level of knowledge that people out there have about HIV
• Gaining media coverage across all media outlets including TV, Radio, print and online
The focus and attention that we get around this time of year is so important in helping us to help others. This year we highlighted that over 1,000 people are now living with HIV in Northern Ireland. The good news is that between the statistics released this year and last year, there has been almost a 20% drop in new cases. It’s still too high. Regardless of the numbers, the stigma is still all pervasive and it is a challenge we continue to meet head on.
In 2018 we will continue to encourage people to take charge of their own sexual health and lobby for a Sexual Health Strategy in NI. Join us.
Have a Happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year from all the staff and services users at Positive Life.